Dudley Square Competition
Roxbury, MA –
The DREAM Collaborative and New Atlantic Development team is a finalist for the Plan: Dudley Square competition for the redevelopment of 2147 Washington Street in Dudley Square. The new 6-story building will create an active live/work/play environment that encourages community engagement with daytime and evening activity. Project highlights include:
- Housing without displacement
- 74 new residential units (95% affordable) with live/work opportunities for creative professionals
- Elevation of the community through economic development
- Inclusion of Haley House as a significant formal partner
- 1,413 square feet of affordable retail/commercial space
- Supporting local artists and entrepreneurs through 7 individual work-only studios and 1,224 sf shared workspace
- Robust community participation
The design will create affordable home ownership and rental units to support the continuing revitalization of Dudley Square; encourage working artists and entrepreneurship; provide a welcoming building that respects the architectural character of its neighbors; and incorporates the needs and desires of the non-profit Haley House to ensure its future success and growth. The ground floor of the building will include 7 individual work-only studio spaces as well as 1,246 sf of shared workspace, which fosters accessibility and equitable opportunity to people of all socioeconomic backgrounds. 1,400 sf of flexible retail/commercial space also on the ground floor could provide performance space, a gallery or a restaurant/bar.
2147 Washington will contribute to the continued development of a strong and united Roxbury at “the Heart of the City” by creating affordable housing and artist live/work spaces, boosting economic development, and providing job opportunities for residents.
Related article: Why We Love Roxbury